Summer Recipes, summa' this and summa' that
Summer is in full swing, and we're certain you're already taking full advantage of it. If you're looking for some fresh and exciting summer recipes and drinks for the weekend, we've got some right here.
Prep Time: 2hrs
Servings: 112 (enough for the WHOLE family)
8 cobs of corn husked and cleaned
2 lbs. of tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
1½ cups of chopped green bell peppers
¾ cup chopped red bell peppers
½ cucumber chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup white sugar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
1. Cut the corn from the cobs. Scrape the cobs with a large spoon to get all the juices.
2. In a large bowl, blend the corn and corn juice, tomatoes, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, cucumber and onion.
3. In a medium dish, blend the sugar, apple juice vinegar, salt, celery seed and mustard seeds. Pour over the vegetable mixture. Heat to a boil and then simmer for 60 minutes.
4. Put the finished relish in containers. Refrigerate until served.
STRAWBERRY MELON SUMMER SALAD
Before you get started, you might want to check out this lemon juicer.
Prep time: 20 mins
1 cup of lemon yogurt
1 tbsp of honey
1 tsp of lemon juice
2 cups watermelon balls
2 cups of cantaloupe balls
2 cups halved fresh strawberries
1. In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, honey, and lemon juice until smooth.
2. Gently put in the watermelon balls, cantaloupe balls and strawberries until coated.
3. Refrigerate until served.
WATERMELON AGUA FRESCA
This drink is served all over Mexico and is made with several different fruits.
Prep time: 25 mins
4 cups of cut and seeded watermelon
½ cup water
½ cup white sugar
4 slices of lime
24 fresh mint leaves
1. Blend the watermelon and water in a blender until smooth.
2. Add sugar if needed.
3. Squash with a cocktail muddler.
4. Place half a lime slice and 3 mint leaves into each glass.
5. Fill glass with ice. Pour watermelon aqua fresca in each glass.
6. Refrigerate until serving.
GREEK STEAK SALAD WITH ASIAN DRESSING
The steak salad has a fresh and light taste.
Before we get started, you may want to check out our items:
Prep time: 1hr 45mins
1 (12ounce) rib eye steak
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
½ lemon juice only
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white sugar
½ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp garlic powder
2 pinches red pepper flakes
10 leaves of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
½ English cucumber cubed
1 diced avocado
1 diced tomato
1 grated carrot
4 thin slices of red onion
3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Season both sides of the rib-eye steak with soy sauce and the Montreal Steak seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for +1 hour overnight.
2. Preheat the barbecue to medium-high and oil the grill.
3. Barbecue the steak on the grill until it's cooked to your preference.
4. Move the steak to a plate. Sprinkle it with lemon juice and cover with aluminum foil. Let meat rest for 10 minutes and then cut into strips.
[Keep in mind meat will continue to cook in foil so do not OVERCOOK]
5. Mix rice vinegar, olive oil, sugar, sesame oil, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes together in bowl. Mix lettuce, tomato, carrot, red onion, cucumber, avocado, and steak strips in a large dish.
6. Pour rice vinegar dressing over the plate of mixed greens and mix to coat.
7. Serve with a dash of sesame seeds on top.